Sir Jim Rose

This forum and the sub forums below are no longer active. Messages can still be read and searched but no new messages can be posted

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie

chew8

Sir Jim Rose

Post by chew8 »

RRFers probably know by now that Jim Rose died recently. There's a very nice obituary by Maggie Snowling:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... SApp_Other

I greatly appreciated Jim's wisdom in overseeing the writing of Letters and Sounds in 2006-7, and also the opportunity to share thoughts about ongoing related matters until very recently. He will be much missed.

Jenny C.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Re: Sir Jim Rose

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite »

Thank you Jenny.

Friday 24th March 2023:

I just watched Sir Jim's memorial service online which was very heartfelt and moving.

I found Jim to be the most gentlemanly of gentlemen and he was certainly much respected including internationally.

Jim's younger brother began the service by relaying his relationship and shared antics with Jim from childhood. Then Jim's daughter, Alison, noted that her father is responsible for three important education reviews - indeed. Alison described what a wonderful father and grandfather Jim was whose passion was his family (including the love of his life - wife Pauline - who died prior to Jim) and teaching.

In particular Jim recognised the importance of 'literacy' which opened up the life chances of children and gave hope and opportunity especially to the disadvantaged children which they otherwise may not have had. He never wavered from this interest right up to his dying days.

Jim's two grandchildren, Ben and Daisy, eloquently and lovingly described their grandfather and what he meant to them - the fantastic teacher and role model he provided. He was noted for promoting resilience, courage and hope - and the love and importance of gardening!

In response to her grandfather's question, 'What would you like to be?' following a long list of differing aspirations year-by-year, Daisy concluded in Year 7 the profound response of 'a reader' as it opened up 'thousands of worlds and friends and possibilities'.

I feel very privileged to have met and known Jim in an educational capacity and as a mentor, friend and very kind human being. I knew that if he would agree to join the founding committee of the International Foundation for Effective Reading Instruction in its formative stage that other international stalwarts would follow - and I was right. Jim agreed to join knowing full well what an outspoken critic I was but he never shied away from providing support of one kind or another in the quest for quality literacy instruction for all. Over the years I sent Jim many emails with my observations and views on this and that in the field of literacy and he never failed to answer each and every one appreciatively and diplomatically.

In all my talks and training events I have called upon Jim's work. He is responsible for recognising the importance of the Simple View of Reading model (Gough and Tunmer 1986) which he recommended for professional understanding to replace the 'Searchlights reading strategies' [multi-cueing word-guessing] at the heart of the National Literacy Strategy (1998) in England. This was in 2006 - and subsequently this recommendation and others included in his world-renowned Rose Report were adopted by the, then, government and built on in England by subsequent governments to this day. (Sadly, not so in the rest of the UK where official guidance continues to be somewhat ambivalent or flawed.)

Without doubt, Sir Jim Rose was an amazing human being and an important one. Although he is no longer with us in the physical world, he will certainly be forever within my heart and thoughts - and I will continue to reference him in my work.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Here is a warm tribute from the Patoss organisation:

https://www.patoss-dyslexia.org/News/sir-jim-rose

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Please find enclosed a presentation by Sir Jim Rose that Learning Difficulties Australia would like to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZgVL4ZW5fI

With best wishes
Robyn Wheldall
LDA Vice-President 2022-23