List of simple chapter books - post SP instruction

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

Anna

List of simple chapter books - post SP instruction

Post by Anna » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi all,

I am compiling a list for parents of easier chapter books for my tutoring pupils to read once they have completed reading the BRI books or another SP programme such as the Sound Reading System. They no longer need decodable text but need lots of practice with books which interest them, with some m-s words abd rarer code but not too many as to be overwhelmed.

I find that sometimes schools are keeping these children on series such as ORT Treetops, which the pupils don't find very interesting by this point. These pupils can decode most words and need to be extended. I find sometimes pupils still haven't developed confidence in seeing themselves as readers, having favourite authors etc. Others may be made 'free readers' at school but still need to practise reading aloud, so as not to guess m-s words etc.

So I am gathering books which other pupils have enjoyed. I would welcome any input from others on the forum as to books/authors which your children and pupils have enjoyed. I am thinking of a RA (on Burt) of around 8.00.

If you have any at the next level up, eg moving a pupil from RA 9.00 - 10.00 please send these too. I will share the finished list with anyone who would find it useful. Many thanks. :grin:

This is what I have so far:

RA 7.5 - 8.00 Barrington Stoke - 4 U to Read Ok
Usborne Young Reading Series 1 and 2
Seriously Silly Stories – comic versions of fairy tales – Orchard Books

Reading age equivalent 8.00 – 9.00

Jeremy Strong
Clarice Bean stories – Lauren Child
Rainbow Magic series – Orchard Books – very popular series with girls. Each book features a different fairy.
The Tiara Club
Flat Stanley
Horrid Henry books
Roald Dahl
Michael Morpurgo
Pippi Longstocking
Charlotte’s Web

Bit harder? Beast Quest series – Adam Blade – Orchard books

chew8

Post by chew8 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:18 pm

The Enid Blyton Famous Five books were what got me hooked on reading independently - they did the same for my children and grandchildren, and also seem to have worked well for many of the 7-to-8-year-olds at the school where I have helped voluntarily for the past 8+ years.

Jenny C.

JAC

Post by JAC » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:22 am

Agree with Jenny regarding Enid Blyton books.
I have found a lovely set of books by Alexander McCall Smith who writes also for adults.

The 'Akimbo' books by Alexander McCall Smith are well-written, proper sentences, not too many ms words but some, interesting plots, not too long. The main character is a 10 year old boy who lives on a game reserve where his father is the head ranger. The English editions are preferable to the American IMHO as the spacing is better, paper quality superior and has line drawings rather than full page illustrations.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h ... &x=13&y=13