reading recovery

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

dot

reading recovery

Post by dot » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:22 pm

My head teacher was at a conference on literacy last month. Anne Neil was doing presentations on reading and Reading Recovery. My HT was very impressed and wants to follow this up. Synthetic phonics did not seem to come into it at all and seemed to have been dismissed. I teach beginner readers and do not want to change. Does anyone have information on Anne Neil and her ideas on reading?

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:07 pm

Would it be this Ann Neil?
East Dunbartonshire’s Intervention Team, in conjunction with Anne Neil from Strathclyde University, have created a package of reading tools to be used by pupils in Primary 1 to enhance their understanding of texts.
To see the 'Primary reading toolkit' in all its grisly glory:

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/literacy/f ... /index.asp

I am surprised that this is emanating from the Authority which is supposed to have eliminated reading failure...Or was that a different Dunbartonshire?

Edit 4/12/08.
I find it is a different Dunbartonshire. The 'elimination of reading failure' one is West Dunbartonshire.
Last edited by maizie on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cartwheel

Post by cartwheel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:50 am

The toolkit encourages pupils to take responsibility for their own learning
Why should children at a young age have to take on the huge responsibility of learning to read? Then if they fail, well, it's all their fault! I firmly believe that it's the adults' job and responsibility to teach the children to read.
Re: The "Tool Kit": The concept of having a gazillion tools for figuring out words seems crazy to me. I wouldn't be able to remember what all the "tools" are in the split second of coming to an unfamiliar word; how could a child? And even if you do remember all 10 tools, it's like going for a walk and every few steps you come to an intersection with 5+ choices. And sometimes those choices deadend and you have to turn around and go back to the intersection! How exhausting.

Jennie

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Oh my goodness - I've just clicked on to the link above and I am totally HORRIFIED!

It's so upsetting to see this type of flawed thinking and teaching still going on.

Those poor kids and those poor teachers - and the poor parents.

I cry for them... :cry: