Teaching an EAL child to read

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:33 pm

Maizie I am in the same position with 2 children in my group with absolutely no English. I am working with a group of 7 children aged 5 and 6, all with SEN. Their problems are numerous. I am tteaching by 'Letters and Sounds' (my interpretation). We have completed 3 weeks now and both children know 8 sounds and are beginning to blend. I use lots of pictures and objects, along with singing and games. I try to use the same pictures until they know the words. It's hard work trying to cater for all the needs in the group but so far it is going well. It would be lovely to have the time to take them all individually.

I have uploaded my plans to my blog if anyone wants to check them out. There maybe some games, ideas that may be useful for others.

If you go to the 'planning' label at the side it will give you all I have done so far.
www.freeforum101.com/hltastaffroom

www.hltastaffroom.blogspot.com

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:10 am

Funnily enough, Maltesers, I have just had a look at your planning, through the 'other' forum!

I am curious. In the 'Assessment' section you have reference to the 'tricky' words. Do you teach them from the start too, or is the 'assessment' just a generic bit that goes on the bottom of each week's plans?

Are the two EAL children in your group because they are EAL or because they are SEN? What a world of difference there is between the two... :sad:

I'm using Debbie's PI programme as a basis for working with my EAL child, plus appropriate pictures for 'explaining' words she doesn't know the meanings of, and a website that translates English words to her language! We were initially slowed down by the fact that the primary she attended for a few weeks in the summer had obviously taught her 'look and say' but no code knowledge or decoding & blending. I very much suspect that this was on the advice of the EMAT people, as they initially tried to advise me to work in the same way...

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:45 am

Maizie the assessment section is just a reminder (from Letters and Sounds) of what the children need to be able to do by the end of phase 2. I find it helpful to have it at the bottom of each planning sheet. I don't teach tricky words or I don't intend to for quite some time, that is what I meant by my interpretation of Letters and Sounds ;-)

I have no idea whether these children are SEN at the moment. I suspect not, but it is very difficult to tell. One child seems brighter than the other and seems to pick up new words quicker. He was also quicker at learning the 8 sounds. If they make good progress they will move up to the phase 3 group quickly. At the moment because they are very young they are loving the sessions. They seem to understand the games we play and are starting to join in the singing. Using the same songs with actions seems to be helping them. I am becoming a good actress :grin:
www.freeforum101.com/hltastaffroom

www.hltastaffroom.blogspot.com