Oh, Help! Decodables for a 13 y old

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

maizie
Administrator

Oh, Help! Decodables for a 13 y old

Post by maizie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:07 pm

I have a very bright, but very struggling Y8 boy who, while he is making progress, is getting very demoralised at what he perceives to be his lack of progress.

I know that he is trying his hand at reading environmental 'text' (words on the TV, posters, notices etc. -reported by his mother) but he really wants to be reading books. He took home 5 Jelly & Bean books 'for holiday reading' yesterday, but came in today saying had I got anything else, as he'd read 2 last night (which is WOW!, as in the past it has taken him a week to read one!). He really loves J & B and has actually read all the ones I have (which is just about all of them except the full 'Gold' series) so is really re-reading them.

All I could produce that might have been 'age appropriate' were some ancient Skyways readers (which are tottering on the verge of being decodable), which he rejected as not looking very interesting.

Does anyone know if there are any reasonably decodable, not too long, nonfiction books on the market? He loves History and animals.

I've some Barring Stokes books, which I have never really closely examined for decodability, though they are often recommended for 'dyslexics'. I shall have a good look at them tomorrow, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:53 am

Although this is not an answer for this boy's need for decent and age-appropriate, interest-appropriate books, one thing that I am finding successful in terms of having decodable material for getting 'blending' up and running are my decodable pieces of text from my Phonics International programme.

I sometimes print off the whole strand of decodable text for a unit and staple the 'I can read' texts together to form a booklet and then the pupil uses this in different ways.

It struck me that if the boy is still at 'Jelly and Bean' level, he could do with all the decodable material you can lay your hands on.

Just a thought as I know that you have access to my programme!

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Thank you for your replies, frances and Debbie.

I will pop into Waterstones and have a look at the Jolly Phonics readers. They do sound promising.

Debbie, we do do lots of work with decodable sentences, reading and writing them to dictation, and the RML Freshstart texts; but this boy is desperate to be taking home books to read. I think it gives him a good psychological boost.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:03 pm

:grin: I think I'll still go to Waterstones!

Although I do quite often buy books on the net, I think that the best thing about choosing books is picking them up and looking through them!

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:13 pm

I've just learnt that Read Write Inc. are bringing out non-fiction decodables in September. They'll fit in with the colour groupings of RWI fiction decodables.

Pre-order from Amazon:

This is a link for the Blue level
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Read-Write-Inc- ... _rhf_p_t_1

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:07 am

Goal!

Interest age 6 – 14 years | Reading age KS1

A series of 48 football-themed decodable texts especially written
for high interest age, low reading age students. Using a synthetic
phonics approach, and closely following the ‘Letters and Sounds’
programme produced by the UK government, the Goal! series offers
a complete package of readers, workbooks and a teacher’s guide.

http://www.ransom.co.uk/Site/Welcome_fi ... l_lflt.pdf

kenm

Post by kenm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:08 am

The "Goal" site put my (old) version of Acrobat into an unproductive loop.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10 am