Teaching the use of the apostrophe for Contraction

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

Anna

Teaching the use of the apostrophe for Contraction

Post by Anna » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi all,

I am tutoring a Key Stage 2 pupil (Year 3) who is confused about punctuation - specifically speech marks and the apostrophe (as well as lots of other things which they are covering in literacy lessons - but that's another story)!

She is doing very well on the Oxford Sound Reading programme so I am going to add in a little punctuation work each week. I just wondered if any of you have found any activites which help with teaching this concept or any particuarly useful worksheets/online resources. I've searched lots of weblinks but most online activies combine the 2 uses of the apostrophe - far too confusing for my pupils and only any good to revision once they understand both uses.

I have some word cubes so we can build the words and then make the contracted versions and then write into sentences. Does anyone else have any bright ideas of things which have worked?

Many thanks. :smile:

JAC

Post by JAC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:29 pm

I just use the white board. Child writes 'I am' then has to say it the lazy way, missing out the 'a'. Easily rubbed out on the white board, and that's where the apostrophe goes, followed by rewriting the word properly.

As for the apostrophe of possession, Apples and Pears breaks it down into simple steps. I think it may be Level C which I don't have at the moment but someone else might look it up for you.

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:34 pm

www.freeforum101.com/hltastaffroom

www.hltastaffroom.blogspot.com

Anna

Post by Anna » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi Jac,

Many thanks for the suggestion. I think I will use the whiteboard first and then move onto building the words with my cubes. I hadn't thought of looking in Apples and Pears for the use of the apostrophe for possession. I have the books but haven't used them yet, so will be looking into that.

Many thanks for the links Maltesers, which I will look at now. Thanks so much for taking the time to find them for me. :smile: