slow progress or a hiccup?

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

elf

slow progress or a hiccup?

Post by elf » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:28 pm

I have a five year old girl in my class who is making extremely slow progress in reading. She was slow to recognise sounds but was very good at blending orally. Now she recognises most sounds and has been sounding out cvc words for a couple of months but she does not seem to be progressing. She can segment ccvc and cvcc words very well. She has a similar problem in maths. She can count back from 20 and add to 6 mentally but struggles to recognise numbers.

Is there something I should be doing?

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 pm

You've already described that this little girl has made progress so don't worry.

Does she have the kind of books which will give her plenty of rehearsal at the level of correspondences she knows already and the length of words she can deal with?

We are so keen to measure progress on an almost daily basis that sometimes we lose sight of looking at progress over longer periods.

Mark my words, three to six months from now, this girl will be further ahead than currently!

Meanwhile, what could she do with the most?

Does she need some extra handwriting practice?

Some dictation at letter level? (You say the sound, she writes the letter.)

Does she need to read words within sentences to gain a bit of reading fluency and comprehension when reading?

Does she need to become speedier and more 'automatic' when she sees a grapheme and says the sound?

I suggest that you have a really good think about any little aspect of reading, spelling and writing that she may not be all that confident with and of which she may need some additional sub-skill practice.

Then give it time for her to consolidate those skills. They will all come together eventually. ;-)