How do you improve reading comprehenion

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

Judy

Post by Judy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Frances, this is something I've been grappling with re one of my Y7 pupils in particular and I've come to the conclusion that, stated very briefly, good comprehension is the result fluent decoding and good general knowledge and a wide vocabulary, which are two elements which can work together. You already have the fluent decoding in place so I can only suggest that you work on your son's vocabulary.

One of the things I have not found effective is asking children to look up words in a dictionary, even if I then ask them to write a sentence to include the new word. In any case, I think your son is perhaps to young to be using a dictionary? So all I can suggest is that you explain the words he comes across that he doesn't understand, and then make sure you reinforce this new knmowledge by finding opportunities to use the word frequently in your conversations with him.

As I said, this is an area that I've only just begun to look into so I expect others will have more suggestions.

kenm

Post by kenm » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:35 am

At what level is dictionary use taught?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6