Little boy of 5

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

Maltesers

Little boy of 5

Post by Maltesers » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:44 am

I have a 5 year old in my phase 5 phonics group. I have never quite had a child like him. He can read or spell absolutely anything. Yesterday I was teaching the different pronunciation of the 'g' sound. I gave the children two flash cards each and they had to decide which pronunciation to use. I gave this little lad 'gymnastics' a word he hadn't seen before. In seconds he told me what it was. I asked how he had worked it out and he said he just knew it. He will not admit to blending or segmenting when spelling or reading. How does he do it? How do I keep his interest in phonics lessons? Do you think he should be doing something else instead of phonics and if so what? I would prefer to keep him with his more able peers but am really concerned about not stretching him and having him sit through these lessons.

His mum told me she found him on the computer the other day organising his MP3 files. :shock:

Any advice would be very welcome :grin:
www.freeforum101.com/hltastaffroom

www.hltastaffroom.blogspot.com

Judy

Post by Judy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:53 am

He will not admit to blending or segmenting when spelling or reading.
I don't know whether it is relevant or not but have you discovered whether he actually CAN blend and segment - maybe using nonsense words?

chew8

Post by chew8 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:16 am

If this 5-year-old really can 'read or spell absolutely anything', is anything much going to be gained by checking whether he can blend and segment? Apart from anything else, his blending and segmenting may already have gone 'underground', so to speak - he may actually have read 'gymnastics' by sounding out and blending, but may have done it so automatically that he wasn't conscious of what he was doing and would have been unable to put the process into words.

Some people may think I'm being heretical, but I honestly believe that there comes a point at which we simply have to recognise excellent reading and spelling as excellent reading and spelling. If people (children or adults) have reached this point, the means by which they have done it is their own business.

Jenny C.

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:03 pm

I don't know whether it is relevant or not but have you discovered whether he actually CAN blend and segment - maybe using nonsense words?
Yes I assessed him in Reception when he was 4, with the alien words from Letters and Sounds. The only one he couldn't get was 'jigh'

Judy

Post by Judy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:57 pm

Tricky one!

The only reason I can think of for having him 'sit through phonics lessons' is if he has something to gain from it from the spelling point of view - or if he actually wants to be doing the same as his peers.

What is his comprehension like?

What does his mother think about it?

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:51 pm

Comprehension is way beyond a 5 year old and his spelling is brilliant. His mum wants him with his peers and I do agree with that. He seems ok at the moment I tend to get him to help me with things, for example we played a long vowel bingo game today and I had him as the bingo caller. I just feel like I should be doing more for him. I suppose its only 20 minutes a day.

Perhaps when we get onto phase 6 which won't be that long with this group there will be more grammar which may be more helpful to him.

Thank you for your replies :grin: