Concentrations of poverty

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Concentrations of poverty

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 pm

An analysis from Ofsted found 490 'stuck' schools those that have been judged below the level of 'good' in every inspection since 2005.The proportion of pupils eligible for free school meals and the number of poor white British pupils in these schools is also well above the national average.A survey of OECD countries found a wide gulf in England between the performance of pupils from disadvantaged households who attended schools with a majority of other disadvantaged children and those who attended schools elsewhere. Schools with only a small proportion of disadvantaged pupils were found to produce results that were on average two and a half years ahead of those with a majority of disadvantaged pupils.

'This much is settled science: poverty matters . A lot. Research reliably finds that schools with higher percentages of poverty have lower levels of achievement for all students including those from more affluent homes.' ( National Education Policy Centre )

JIM CURRAN

Re: Concentrations of poverty

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:18 am

According to the OECD the UK has one of the most socially segregated education systems in the developed world.Why does social segregation matter? Because all the research , from the 1966 Coleman Report to today tells us that education systems in countries where income differentials are narrow do better. At an individual level a child from a low income household in a socially disadvantaged area does much better in a school with a socially mixed intake.The same child attending a high poverty school does much worse always. That tells us that socially mixed intakes are miles better , as a policy response, than any amount of targeting social need or compensatory financing.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:45 am

Many pupils in England hungry and badly clothed, say teachers

Teachers have warned that growing levels of poverty across England are having a devastating effect on pupils, with more children going hungry and being unable to afford warm clothes this winter.

The findings from the National Education Union paint a harrowing picture of day-to-day poverty in schools. Teachers say that a lack of food, poor housing and unsuitable clothes are overwhelming pupils and cash-strapped schools.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... y-teachers

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:12 pm

My mother learned to read at 63 - she was still the smartest woman I know

It didn’t take education or money for my mama to feel compassion, to reject prejudice and hatred. She taught me to feel empathy, and I cherished it

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... son-i-knew