NUT's anti-phonics check video.

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

NUT's anti-phonics check video.

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:15 am

Debbie discovered this video:

NUT (National Union of Teachers) video clip anti the Year One Phonics Screening Check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1kzpEcYos4

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/for ... .php?t=585

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Re: NUT's anti-phonics check video.

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:46 am

When I get a minute, I'll list and address all the issues the contributors' raised. :roll:

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:28 pm

I've now written some responses to the points raised on the NUT anti-screening check video.

Please refer to the link above.

I've written these in haste - there are other points to raise so I thought it was worth adding my response to David Reedy of the UKLA on the thread above too.

I think the lack of professional knowledge and the attitude of the NUT is most dismaying.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Nice one, Debbie :grin:

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:36 am

Read Mike Lloyd-Jones's and John Walker's views on the current phonics detractors
(via Mike's blog)

http://www.phonicsblog.co.uk/#/blog/456 ... ub/7821506

chew8

Post by chew8 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:04 pm

In case people don’t know, Frank Smith (whole language guru) wrote a book called Joining the Literacy Club.

Keith Stanovich has interesting things to say about the misguided views of left-leaning opponents of code-based instruction:
He wrote:...researchers who the extreme language advocates attack are almost without exception fellow political progressives. So the efforts of the whole language advocates to grab the political high ground are misplaced. Proponents of the importance of decoding skills are also fighting to rid society of the “savage inequalities” that Kozol (1991) so eloquently wrote about. If the politically active whole language advocates really wanted to win the battle against reactionary forces, they would drop their misguided opposition to systematic instruction in the alphabetic code and stop dividing the progressive forces into “camps”.
That’s from Progress in Understanding Reading, published in 2000 (pp. 362-3). The extract is the introductory chapter to the final section of the book, which consists of papers published in 1993-4 and 1998. In the notes at the end of the chapter, Stanovich gives examples of attacks made on researchers like him.

Jenny C.

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks, Jenny. A fascinating quote. The depressing thing is that there are no signs now that child-centred, knowledge-light, teachers,lecturers:
are also fighting to rid society of the “savage inequalities” that Kozol (1991) so eloquently wrote about.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Isn't it the case that they think they are doing the right thing but are actually pursuing strategies that don't work while rejecting the strategies that work best?

Jenny C.