Re: Mr Gove

Post by chew8 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Here's the text of Michael Gove's speech:

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... ch-in-full

Jenny C.

Lesley Drake

Post by Lesley Drake » Fri May 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Sorry- doesn't do it for me, on any level.

Mr Gove is witty, humorous, well-read, informed and passionate about children from poor backgrounds being given the best possible education. His speech yesterday PRAISED teachers.

This sort of lazy satire just recycles the Michael Rosen-type lies and misinformation prevalent amongst so-called progressives who have given up on working class children.

Pity you didn't post a link to what he actually did say yesterday.

Mind you, I'd have a few words to say to Mr Gove on teachers' pensions!

Lesley Drake

Post by Lesley Drake » Fri May 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Great minds think alike, Jenny!

chew8

Post by chew8 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:20 pm

If one reads satire, I think it's a good idea also to read what is being satirised, if possible.

Jenny C.

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri May 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Has anyone discovered why Nick Gibb was moved out of education? Did Gove want rid of him?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

chew8

Post by chew8 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Maybe it was a matter of freeing up a post for David Laws but I don't know for sure.

Nick Gibb was largely responsible for introducing the Year 1 screening check, and Gove mentions that with approval in his speech.

Jenny C.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 pm

I recall reading the blog post some time ago which detailed using Mr Men in the lesson about Hitler. I even commented (adversely) on the idea. Can't remember where I saw it, though :sad:

elsiep

Post by elsiep » Fri May 10, 2013 8:56 pm

Lesley Drake wrote:Sorry- doesn't do it for me, on any level.

Mr Gove is witty, humorous, well-read, informed and passionate about children from poor backgrounds being given the best possible education. His speech yesterday PRAISED teachers.

This sort of lazy satire just recycles the Michael Rosen-type lies and misinformation prevalent amongst so-called progressives who have given up on working class children.

Pity you didn't post a link to what he actually did say yesterday

Mind you, I'd have a few words to say to Mr Gove on teachers' pensions!
I'm happy to go through Michael Gove's speeches in detail showing how he uses wit and a wide vocabulary to propagate some shallow, disconnected ideas with little evidence to support them.

elsie

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri May 10, 2013 9:17 pm

elsiep wrote:I'm happy to go through Michael Gove's speeches in detail showing how he uses wit and a wide vocabulary to propagate some shallow, disconnected ideas with little evidence to support them.
I don't expect a minister to be an expert in the detail of his Department; I expect his permanent secretary and his advisers to provide him with facts and supporting evidence. Unfortunately he has presumably taken over many of the staff who were previously in the DCSF. During the discussions between the publication of the Badman Review (concerned with home education) and the formation of the committee for the proposed Education act of 2010, some DCSF staff covered themselves with ignominy, refusing, on specious grounds, to provide information in reply to a Freedom of Information enquiry*. I'm not surprised if they provide him with out-of-date ideas. That's why he needs Nick Gibb.

* IIRC, concerning the raw data that DCSF had not published, but had boiled down into implausible statistics in the Review, needed by home educators to contest the recommendations of the Review within the consultation period.
Last edited by kenm on Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Anna

Post by Anna » Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 pm

I get the impression that Nick Gibb and Michael Gove are of a very similar mind. Both are admires of the work of E.D Hirsch, as well as SP. I think Jenny Is probably correct re David Laws.

Lesley Drake

Post by Lesley Drake » Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Sorry Ken, but you have mis"quoted" both me and elsiep.

Lesley Drake

Post by Lesley Drake » Fri May 10, 2013 10:32 pm

And elsiep, sorry, I'd save yourself the trouble of detailed analysis of Mr Gove's speeches.

I can read and analyse things all by myself.

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri May 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Lesley Drake wrote:Sorry Ken, but you have mis"quoted" both me and elsiep.
My apologies. It was the result of careless editing of elsiep's post, now corrected.

elsiep

Post by elsiep » Sat May 11, 2013 9:15 am

Lesley Drake wrote:And elsiep, sorry, I'd save yourself the trouble of detailed analysis of Mr Gove's speeches.

I can read and analyse things all by myself.
Sorry Lesley, but I've gone ahead with this. I'm not at all convinced you've come to the right conclusions.

elsie