Discipline

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Discipline

Post by JIM CURRAN » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:41 am

I read an article in the Daily Mail this morning concerning a report by the Chief Inspector of Constabulary Sir Dennis O’ Connor which highlighted the ‘disease’ of anti- social behaviour.

We have let yobs rule streets: Britain's top police watchdog admits taking officers off the beat has fuelled anti-social behaviour
By JACK DOYLE

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z10KnMYvdS

We have also let the same thing happen in too many of our classrooms and schools. Without good discipline there can be no learning. On Monday night when I watched the John Humphrys programme ‘Unequal Opportunities’ one thing that greatly impressed me about the three turn around schools that were featured in the programme, Old Ford Primary school, Mossbourne Academy and Phoenix High School was the excellent discipline.

Just as the Police need to be given the resources to reclaim our streets so to do our Head teachers and teachers need to be given the opportunity to reclaim many of our schools and classrooms.

In the KIPP charter schools which work with disadvantaged children in disadvantaged areas,strict discipline is the corner stone on which they build. The discipline in these schools is based on the ‘Broken Windows’ theory of Wilson and Kettering ( 1982 ). If you deal quickly with the little things and nip them in the bud before they get out of hand, the big things don’t happen.

In these Kipp schools there is an emphasis on personal dress ( school uniform ), behavioral codes ( walking in lines, specified bathroom times) , classroom etiquette ( sitting up straight, tracking the speaker ) , language codes ( no slang, swear words or speaking out of turn ) . And it works.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Re: Discipline

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:12 am

...and you can have a very warm and positive ethos whilst still being a school with order and good behaviour management.

One of the reasons that Ruth Miskin's Read Write Inc programme is so successful is because it includes the necessary teacher-training via its routines and behaviour management via the guidance provided in the Handbook, and via any face to face teacher-training.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks Debbie, Sir Michael Wilshaw, the principal of Mossbourne Academy pointed out during the programme, that many of these children had little or no structure in their lives outside school and if they didn’t get this structure in school they would be left totally rudderless.

Children and young people love structure. They feel secure and safe and cared for. Does anyone honestly think that children can learn in an environment where they feel at risk?

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Many people believe that right from being tiny, children should be free to roam in and outdoors and make constant choices about what to do.

Some Year One teachers are known to report that it is very difficult for them to manage their intakes at the beginning of the academic year following a significant increase in freedom and choices for the Reception aged children.

Also, the Year One teachers are often expected to provide the same regime - and yet this does not seem to take into account available space, staffing ratios, large cohorts of up to 30 five to six year olds in a climate of pressure and expectation to get children ready for the end of key stage one national assessments.

g.carter

Post by g.carter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:36 pm

It's how we bridge the great divide. We need to take the Early Years proponents with us - or at least try to demonstrate vigorously that you can have both free play, exploration, and structured work for little ones.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:58 pm

I agree, Geraldine. :???:

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:07 pm

As Jo Shadwell wrote:
''Currently, the most vehement opponents of synthetic phonics are the Early Years lobbyists. Their belief system has it that teaching five- year olds to read is detrimental to their physical and mental well-being. They quote Finland where children do not begin ‘formal teaching’ until much later and learn to read easily to bolster their case...But there is nothing ‘formal’ about synthetic phonics teaching. It is multi-sensory and fun and can be achieved in 30 minutes a day, leaving several hours to be filled by child-initiated play, sand, water, painting, outdoor play, you name it.''
http://eddie.idx.com.au/prev_issues.html
Sound sense: How learning to love synthetic phonics could revolutionise teachers’ working lives — to say nothing of the children’s! issue 88. 2006

Anne Mc Keefry

Post by Anne Mc Keefry » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:45 pm

I also agree with previous posts. The Scottish teacher who taught my niece in primary 1 said that Jolly Phonics was liberating for both the pupil and the teacher. For me it was the most important discovery of my teaching career.
Having spent 17 years teaching P1 now Year 1 in N. Ireland I know that young children learn a great deal through well organised free play and exploration both in the classroom and outdoors. However they can also learn in a whole class teaching situation singing, rhymes, stories, P Ed circle time and most importantly PHONICS.

Yesterday I did demonstration lessons with all year groups in a primary school in Omagh. 42 year ones (2 classes) sat on mats in the hall and were introduced to the /s/ sound

Setting good habits from the very beginning is essential. I began with a rhyme to settle the children and then explained that while they were sitting on the mat I wanted them to look at me ,(pointed to my eyes and they copied) listen with two ears, only talk when I asked them, do a lot of thinking and try really hard to sit still.

For the next 20 minutes or so they were enthralled as they listened to the story and joined in with terriffic answers to my questions. The lesson also included the action, air writing with 'froggy legs' blending, segmenting Can you hear a /s/ in sun? Where is it beginning, middle or end?etc and finally the song. Not bad for wee ones who have only been at school 3 weeks!

Multi sensory programmes like Jolly Phonics properly taught achieve so much. All children make progress, develop independence, a love of learning and many will be reading and writing stories by the end of their first year at school. I always valued the support and interest from parents and found that children thrived on their praise and made even more progress when they were involved.

Most children entering year 1 are willing to, expect to and in most cases are ready to start the reading and writing programme that is currently being delayed until Year 2.

Will this delay help to reduce the current 40% of 16 year olds who leave school without a good basic education? I think not.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm

I don’t agree with everything that Katharine Birbalsingh had to say yesterday at a Tory party conference fringe meeting but I think she has got a pretty good handle on the discipline problems in too many of our schools.

Miss Birbalsingh, who has just started as a deputy head teacher at St Michaels and All Angels Academy in South London, said the biggest problem in the system was the destruction of behavioural and academic standards.
‘I don’t think ordinary parents have any idea about what goes on in their schools. But it is totally and utterly chaotic. Teachers spend most of their time telling children to sit down or stop disrupting the class rather than teaching.’
Miss Birbalsingh said there was a conspiracy of silence in staffrooms because teachers were too afraid of being branded as failures if they admitted how bad the true picture was.
‘League tables tell you nothing about how good a school really is, just how good the school is at playing the system and picking the easier exams,’ she said.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z11ZdfFMi8

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Deputy head who dared attack the state education system is sent home from school

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z11mZ9RYFV

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:29 pm

I won't be silenced while our children are betrayed by schools

I feel like the boy in the fable who pointed out that the Emperor was not wearing any clothes, while the rest of the crowd sycophantically expressed its admiration. But I know that, in private, most teachers would agree with me that education is in a mess.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... 7VJK1Z5863+

g.carter

Post by g.carter » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Signing onto the Daily Mail in order to post a comment

i. made me feel my age

ii. was like signing away any sense of privacy

iii. I hope it was worth it - I imagine these comments get read - and the Guardian to-day picked up the story.

My neighbour's daughter in Brixton went to the same school in Camberwell when it was just St Michaels. It was an horrendous life-scarring experience even though she was rescued after a couple of years.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Teacher who attacked school chaos in Tory party conference speech is forced out

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z12d5p6jyk

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Good post about Birbalsingh from Old Andrew:

http://teachingbattleground.wordpress.c ... 25/snuffy/

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks Susan, an excellent post by Old Andrew on the sad saga of Katharine Birbalsingh.